What are the pros and cons of renovating my whole house instead of in phases?
The term “whole home remodeling” refers to when a major portion of your existing home is renovated in some way. Generally, this would include the kitchen/living spaces and a master suite. The positive side of renovating in this manner is that you will live through one remodel instead of multiple inconveniences. If you are updating every bathroom in your home, it may be best to phase this project if you would like to remain in the home during the remodel. The price will likely be a little higher if the trades have to make multiple visits to your home instead of taking care of everything in one trip. For instance, if the heating & air installer needs to relocate or vent multiple rooms, it will be more cost efficient if he is working everything together in the most economical way. The inconvenience would lie in if you had a spot in your house you could relocate temporarily to without causing too much stress to your family’s rhythms. If you are working room by room, it is easier to keep small children out of an area, but if the entire floor is being replaced, it may be more difficult to rope off a safe area. During our initial consultation, we are happy to analyze these with you and find a plan that works best for you and your family.
Does it take longer to plan a whole house remodel than room-by-room?
It certainly can take longer to plan a whole house remodel in the beginning phases. Working out a cohesive design that flows from room to room and selecting the layout that best fits your needs and that you feel the most satisfied with tends to take some extra time. Once we get to the selections, things will speed up as we are doubling up selections, but in one appointment. Our team will only need one review meeting to evaluate your whole home, instead of multiple sessions and extra fees. The actual remodel itself will be more efficient, but the overall time it takes versus a one room project will be slightly lengthier. Planning a whole house remodel at once will ensure that your whole home reflects a set style, and can be helpful if you struggle with bringing several looks together separately.
What are the steps in whole home remodeling?
In an average whole home remodel, you can expect to see the following steps:
- Initial consultation: We will assess your needs, listen to your ideas/concerns, and take measurements.
- Design meeting: Our interior designer will meet with you to go over a proposed layout and use your feedback to complete a design that is perfect for you.
- Selections: Each element of the remodel will be converted into appointments for you to choose finishes and styles. Don’t worry! Our designer will be with you every step of the way to guide your decisions for one cohesive and beautiful design!
- Team Review: Each of our team members will accompany us to the space to assess potential challenges and discuss our design plan during our Team Review.
- Proposal & Contract Signing: We will bring you our proposal and sign the construction agreement once everything is finalized.
- Ordering: We will order all the materials to complete the project, and once we have them we will set a date for our Pre-Construction Meeting.
- Pre-Construction Meeting: We will bring you a detailed and dated schedule for your remodeling project that lists what is happening every day of your project.
- Demo: We will carefully remove any pieces of your home that will not remain.
- Construction: Framing, painting, electrical and plumbing modifications, cabinet placement, countertop installation, tile/flooring installation, and final fixture installs are some of the pieces you may witness during the construction phase.
- Final Walkthrough: We aim to have a zero item punchlist by the final walkthrough phase, but we will ensure you are completely satisfied with the final product! You are now ready to use your beautiful newly remodeled home!
If budget does not permit to do all at once, can we phase the construction after the design phase?
We run into this frequently. If you are not in this industry, you may not be well acquainted with the average prices of remodels. While we can pinpoint how much an average bathroom or kitchen may cost, once we start adding extras, it will be more difficult to determine an exact figure. Once we have made the selections, we can determine what is the best route to proceed. If budget permits, we can execute the entire project at once, if not, we are happy to break down the project into phases. We want you to go into your remodel with as much knowledge and confidence as possible. Our precise planning, quality assurance, and fixed pricing ensures we have as little surprises as possible. We are a professional group of experienced experts in our field, we like to treat each project as if it were our own home and provide an amazing experience to every client, no matter what size the project.
Why choose D.F. Hughes?
Extensive Industry Knowledge and Experience
Our vast experience in remodeling equips us with the necessary skills and knowledge to handle any remodeling project with competence and confidence. As one of the first residential design-build firms in the Birmingham, Alabama area, we have learned what it takes to make a project successful. Remodeling will never be convenient, but with our careful processes, we will reduce the amount of errors and change orders, resulting in a beautiful product with enduring quality.
Comprehensive Attention to Detail
Our team emphasizes precision, ensuring every element of your remodeling project, no matter how small, is executed with utmost care. Our team works together to ensure the decisions you made during the design phase are what you receive in the end. We ensure our crews are thoroughly trained to provide the best possible experience for you and your family.
Unwavering Quality Assurance
We commit to providing the highest standards of quality in our work. We use superior materials and the best construction practices to deliver a final result that you’ll love. The same team members have been with us for years, which means the expectations we have are at the forefront of their mind. We like to do everything we can to ensure total satisfaction the first time around.
Outstanding Customer Service
Client satisfaction is paramount to us. We strive to make your remodeling journey smooth and enjoyable, maintaining open communication and providing prompt customer service. Our project manager will keep you informed of the progress of your project and will be quick to communicate any concerns you express. We view each home we enter as if it were our own, and take the utmost care in ensuring you feel comfortable every step of the way.
Connect with D.F. Hughes today
At D.F. Hughes Construction, we believe that open communication and strong relationships are the cornerstones of successful construction projects. Our Connect page is designed to provide you with an easy and efficient way to engage with our team of professionals. Whether you have questions about our services, need expert advice, or are ready to discuss your dream project, we are eager to connect with you. Our dedicated team is committed to providing personalized attention, tailored solutions, and exceptional customer service to ensure your experience with D.F. Hughes Construction exceeds your expectations. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us today—let’s collaborate, explore ideas, and turn your vision into a stunning reality that reflects your unique style and needs.